Microsoft Teams Walkie Talkie is now in public preview. This push-to-talk experience for Android devices turns them into walkie-talkies for instant voice communications. Like traditional walkie talkies, you press and hold a button to speak on the Teams Walkie Talkie, and release the button to listen. It’s simply an app in within the Microsoft Teams mobile app.
Walkie Talkie app is included in all paid licenses of Teams in Office 365 subscriptions.
The idea is to reduce the need for specialist and separate walkie talkie devices in scenarios like construction, warehouses and retail. Walkie Talkie works over WIFI or cellular data
At the moment it is android only and companion devices that have native integration with Teams Walkie Talkie are being produced by Samsung, Jabra/BlueParrott and Klein Electronics. These devices are not Teams certified (the full AV devices certification) but the have been validated to work with Teams Walkie Talkie.
You speak to groups who are members of a channel. Currently one-on-one communication is not available in Walkie Talkie. If you are in the app you will see the name of the person speaking and their photo (if available).
What Connection is required?
Walkie Talkie works over WIFI or cellular data. For best experience it requires Latency (RTT) < 300ms, Jitter < 30ms and Packet Loss < 1%.
Expected data usage from Walkie Talkie is around 20KB/s when sending or receiving audio. When idle, expected data usage from Walkie Talkie is negligible.
What if your phone is locked?
FirstLine workers often need to speak and receive Walkie Talkie calls even when their phones are locked. This experience is possible through specialized devices with a dedicated PTT button.
Are there headset and device options?
At the moment it is android only. There are a number of companion devices that have native integration with Teams Walkie Talkie being produced by Samsung, Jabra/BlueParrott and Klein Electronics. These devices are not Teams certified (the full AV devices certification) but the have been validated to work with Teams Walkie Talkie.
Samsung Galaxy XCover Pro
Jabra BlueParrott C300-XT MS and B450-XT MS
BlueParrott C300-XT MS
Compact noise-cancelling headset for use with Microsoft Teams Walkie Talkie
- 80% noise-cancellation – so you can clearly hear and be heard, despite a noisy background
- Up to 10 hours of talk-time – to take you through even the longest shift
- IP65-rated dust and watertight protection – for superior durability
- VoiceControl™ – enabling you to answer or reject calls with just your voice, keeping your hands free
- Three wearing styles – comes with ear hook, neckband and headband to ensure comfort for everyone
BlueParrott B450-XT MS
Noise-cancelling headset for use with Microsoft Teams Walkie Talkie
- 96% noise-cancellation – for even the noisiest workplaces
- Up to 24 hours talk-time – for all-day talk time
- IP54 rated – for protection against dust and water
- VoiceControl – enabling you to answer or reject calls with just your voice, keeping your hands free
- Up to 100 metres wireless range – to walk and talk
Klein Electronics CURL. 1-Wire Software APP Based PTT Earpiece for Microsoft Teams Walkie Talkie
- POC Audio Accessory Solution
- For Microsoft Teams Walkie Talkie App on Android.
- Over-Ear for hygiene & all-day comfort.
- Noise Reduction Knowles Microphone.
- Battery Enhanced Audio.
- Front Facing PTT Button.
- Kevlar Reinforced Cables.