Today Microsoft announced a new consumer-focused version of Microsoft 365. The new Microsoft 365 subscription is available in two SKUs; Microsoft 365 Personal is $6.99 a month, and Microsoft 365 Family is $9.99 per month for up to 6 people. This replaced Office 365 Personal and Home respectively. Existing subscribers will be automatically upgraded.
The new SKU includes a number of new additions, but most interesting for me is the new Microsoft Teams for consumer. Details are limited at the moment it’s just an option to sign up for a preview, but here is what they do share
- Chat – Teams is your mobile messaging hub. Start a video chat, assign tasks to people, edit calendars, send a GIF, and access cloud storage, right from your group chats
- Access multiple calendars, activities, and shared tasks all in one place with Teams. With this centralized view, events, photos, and videos are always available within your group chat, so everyone stays in sync.
- Share documents, tackle projects together, build a family budget, or help with homework using Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Everything saves securely in the cloud and is available on any device.
- Safe – an identity and password manager
- Dashboard – a family dashboard of key information
These new features are coming in preview to the Microsoft Teams mobile app in the coming months say Microsoft.
They then give some examples of family use cases:
- Travel planning – Teams gives you one place for your group to organize itineraries, packing lists, assign tasks, and more. Everyone has access to all the details in one centralized hub, making planning easier than ever.
- Family organisation – Family life is busy! Teams makes it easy to share grocery lists, book appointments, plan a birthday party, track team schedules, and more. It’s your hub to chat, coordinate, delegate tasks, and stay on top of all the details.
Microsoft also shares that the one Teams app can be used to switch between your enterprise account and personal account.
I will post more news as it is released.