Microsoft PSTN Calling Plans, allow Microsoft to provide your phone number and inbound and outbound phone calling from Office 365 with Skype for Business or Microsoft Teams. Microsoft also offer PSTN Audio conferencing inbound and outbound numbers from Office 365.
The cost model for these is a licence per user, with a number of “included” minutes in the plan, and, if used, some scenarios that you are charged for per minute:
- International PSTN calls on a Domestic User Plan
- Using minutes over your included in plan minutes
- Some dial out to PSTN from a conference scenarios
- Conference PSTN usage on the Pay Per Minute Audio conferencing Plan
These per minute charges are taken from a central “pot” of money globally for each Office 365 tenant, This “pot” is called Communication Credits. You assign plans and abilities to Office 365 users as licences:
Big credit to Tony Smith and Crystal Thomas who wrote up a lot of this on docs.microsoft.com, I recommend you check it out.
|Office 365 Licence Name||Description|
|MCOPSTN1||Domestic Calling Plan (3000 min US / 1200 min EU plans)|
|MCOPSTN2||International Calling Plan (3000 domestic/ 600 International US / 1200 domestic / 600 International EU plans)|
|MCOPSTN5||Domestic Calling Plan (120 min calling plan)|
|MCOMEETADD||PSTN Audio Conferencing|
|MCOMEETACPEA||Pay Per Minute PSTN Audio Conferencing|
MCOPSTN6 – Domestic Calling Plan (240 min calling plan) Note: Limited Availability
Example Licences you can buy (standard prices):
To understand your usage Microsoft give a web based PSTN Usage report in the Skype for Business Online Portal.
You can also select the Columns you want to view and sort and filter in the web table
You can also export this report to Excel.
The table shows you a breakdown of the all PSTN usage per user. This shows all users that have Skype for Business assigned to them and their PSTN usage. You can add/remove columns to the table.+
- Call ID is the call ID for a call. It is a unique identifier for the call that is used when calling Microsoft service support. Note, not shown by default, select in Columns to see it
- ConfID is the conference ID of the audio conference. Note, not shown by default, select in Columns to see it
- User ID is the user’s sign in name. Note, not shown by default, select in Columns to see it
- User location is the country/region where the user is located.
- User ID is the user’s sign in name.
- Phone number is the phone number that received the call for inbound calls or the number dialed for outbound calls.
- Caller ID is caller’s telephone number (Caller ID) for inbound calls, the number from which the call originated or the Skype for Business number from which the call originated for outbound calls.
- Call type is whether the call was a PSTN outgoing or incoming call and the type of call such as a call placed by a user or an audio conference. The call types you may see are:Calling Plan Call Types
- user_in (the user received an inbound PSTN call)
- user_out (the user placed an outbound PSTN call)
- user_out_conf (the user added 2 or more PSTN participants to the call such as a 3-way conference call)
- user_out_transfer (the user transferred the call to a PSTN number)
- user_out_forwarding (the user forwarded the call to a PSTN number)
Audio Conferencing Call Types
- conf_in (an inbound call to the Audio Conferencing bridge)
- conf_out (an outbound call from the Audio Conferencing bridge usually to add a PSTN number to the conference)
Unified Communication Applications (UCAP)
- ucap_in (an inbound call to the UC application such as auto attendant or call queue)
- ucap_out (an outbound call from the UC application such as auto attendant or call queue)
- Domestic/International tells you whether the call that was placed was considered domestic (within a country/region) or international (outside of a country/region) based on the user’s location.
- Destination dialed is the name of the country/region destination that is dialed such as France, Germany, or the United States (U.S.).
- Number type is the type of phone number that is from a user’s phone number, a service or toll-free number.
- Start Time (UTC) is the time that the call was started or placed.
- Duration is how long the call was connected.
- Charge is the amount of money or cost of the call that is being charged to your account.
- Currency is the type of currency that is used to calculate the cost of the call.
- Capability is the license used for the call.
Today there is no ability to filter or report on the bill on a “per department” or “per AD Attribute” basis, You could export the data using XLS and cross reference it with AD attributes. Disclaimer I work at Modality Systems. Modality Systems have developed PSTN Usage reports in PowerBI based on this data and Azure AD Graph data so that customers can report on per country, per department, per sub company in a single tenant, or per any other AD attribute. This is a commercial product, if you are interested check out https://www.labs.modalitysystems.com/projects/project-gelada/